Subject: RE: Alpha LW price
From: Scott Pincus <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 16:33:05 -0700

I really like what you have to say below.  I for the most part am just playing.  Yes, it is done with the intent of being "flame bait".  For those people that know me, they know that I think controversy is a great way to get awareness out (once a marketer, always a marketer).   

I too agree, that competition is good.  It creates more awareness at the very least.  Oh, I am not trying to protect my market as much as trying to explain that there are differing markets and interests out there.  

A pet peeve of mine is the well intended individual, with STRONG opinions (yes like me :)) who come on over the net as a true expert in the discussion, when in fact they are just being wieners.   The fact is NewTek made a decision on how they wanted to market LW.  It is their decision.  You get to vote with your money.   From my side, the purchasing customers seem to be extremely well satisfied.   There are "Potential" customers that seem to be very unhappy. These customers often can not afford this solution (yet).  

LW for Alpha is the lowest cost solution available in the Professional Workstation market.   Case in point more professional do NOT purchase LW because it is to low of a price, than those from the "Potential" side mentioned above.  LW  does not seem to hold up to the in the "Snob test".   

I guess what I am arguing is that some of the LW users need to rethink themselves. I consider this market and group to be made up of a lot of extremely professional people.  Most of you make a living from 3D modeling.   Most of you use LW.    What is the value of the TOOL's you use?  Is there a real value that can be placed on these TOOL's?   Should a vendor make a profit from offering you these great tool's?  How much is fair? I argue, that if these tool's are important to you, then value of having great support (local dealers) should be born with glee.  

The local dealers will after all save you time and hopefully help you make lot's of money.   They have an interest in your success, they want you to come back and buy more from them.  Most of the dealers in the DeskStation Channel, are extremely knowledgeable in your local market place and competition.  How much is their professional advice worth?

These opions are definitely my own!    

_________________________________________________
| Scott Pincus                 | NTI
| [email-masked]   | 13230 Evening Creek Drive South
| 619 486 1194 Voice     | Suite 208
| 619 486 1094 Fax        | San Diego CA 92128
Builders of the Meanest WindowsNT Alpha Box around:
The 366 MHz DEC Alpha Raptor Reflex

----------
From:  Daniel J. McCoy[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:  Friday, April 12, 1996 2:10 PM
To:  Multiple recipients of list
Subject:  RE: Alpha LW price

At 03:29 PM 4/12/96 -0400, Scott Pincus wrote this:
[Job classification justification deleted]
>It is people like you and your lack of understanding about "WHAT a =
>CUSTOMER" wants that lead to the virtual failure of the Amiga market =
>place.  The markets are free.  You have a choice. There is no such thing =
>as a free lunch.  Maybe you are not in the Workstation level customer =
>that is catered to in the ALPHA sales efforts?  We clearly satisfy a =
>demand, ergo we are in business and make a profit.   Socialism has not =
>proven to be a very efficent market maker!=20

WHOA!  HOLD ON THERE!  This post is most definately flame-bate.  Scott...
Open your eyes.  We are all customers and we all know exactly what we want.
You're preaching to the wrong choir...  Why else would this be the Lightwave
mailing list?  We're here because we are serious (to varying levels) about
LightWave and the systems we run it on.  We're from all walks of life and
platforms and we have all made our choices for a number of reasons.  We like
choices.  We like performance.  We like price vs performance.  We buy from
places other people have had success with.  We look for things that make us
go!  

If anything, the Alpha market was really starting to zoom as more vendors
got into the act.  Prices started getting to the level where many of us
could jump into it and still have money left for applications.  Now that the
NTI deal has happened, I haven't seen much activity amongst these Alpha
dealers.  It's a shame as many of these can provide support based on what
I've seen on the net from those with first hand experience.  

Stop being so protective of what you've got or you won't have it for long...
Alternatives will surely pop out...

Dan
Who, a year and a month ago vowed he'd NEVER leave the Amiga market and
would never use Microsoft products, came close to getting an Alpha based
system but chose Intel due to software and hardware support...  I'm even a
Windows programmer!  (GAK!)  Things change!
--
Daniel J. McCoy - [email-masked] or [email-masked]
http//www.pacificnet.net/~djmccoy
Stop the stupidity!  Away be the demons of inDUHviduals!